Our Exposing the Invisible (ETI) team was awarded a European Commission (DG CONNECT) grant under the 2019 Call for Proposals on Media Freedom and Investigative Journalism - “Action 3 - Pilot Project: Supporting investigative journalism and media freedom in the EU,” along with four other projects. For one year, between September 2020 and August 2021, we will organise activities for investigative journalists, citizen investigators, activists, researchers and others in EU member states to receive training in safe online and offline investigative techniques and tools, training of trainers and high quality self-learning and training resources. A particular focus will be on areas and communities where independent investigative journalists, civil society groups and citizen investigators have less access to skill sharing and networking, and where opportunities for cross-border and cross-discipline collaborative investigations are under-resourced or at risk.
The project will consist of:
- Two series of workshops with experienced investigators across EU Member States to share skills, start building new investigative learning resources, become mentors to others, and network for stronger and safer investigative collaboration across issues and borders.
- An Investigative Institute for emerging investigators to adopt and enhance online and offline investigative methods, skills and resources, connect with others across-borders and topics, and acquire safer collaborative techniques to expose issues of public interest. The focus of the Institute will be on supporting and connecting investigators from and working with marginalised, under-resourced and under-represented communities.
- Development and online publication of self-learning resources (guides, tutorials, curricula, etc.) to increase the understanding and knowledge of using online and offline investigative methods and safe collaboration techniques.
We will soon start launching open calls for applications for the workshops and the Institute.
To contact our team with questions about this project, please email us at: email@example.com (GPG Key fingerprint: BD30 C622 D030 FCF1 38EC C26D DD04 627E 1411 0C02)
- Additional details about our grant can be found on the European Commission’s website.
- Details about all the other awarded projects are available here.
This project is supported by the European Commission (DG CONNECT)